The Atrix 4G, a phone-meets-computer type of device from Motorola, went on sale today in the US on the AT&T network. The Android superphone costs the usual $200 with a obligatory two-year service agreement. Would-be buyers can choose from the entry-level Nation 450 voice plan that includes 450 voice minutes for $40 a month all the way up to the $70 a month Nation Unlimited plan that offers unlimited voice calling in the United States.
In addition to the voice plan, a data plan is also required. You can pick either a $15 a month DataPlus plan that comes with a 200MB monthly allowance or a pricier $45 a month Data Pro package that includes 4GB of data traffic and tethering.
In addition to the nation’s number two wireless carrier, the Atrix 4G can be found at Amazon and Radio Shack for $150, a $50 saving over AT&T’s price. Walmart seems to have one-upped both retailers and AT&T by asking just $130 for the hardware after a $70 LetsTalk.com discount valid until this coming Thursday, February 24.
Beefy Atrix specs include a dual-core processor (1GHz per core) with 1GB of RAM, speedy HSPA+ networking, a four-inch Gorilla Glass-strengthened capacitive display at 960 by 540 pixel resolution, biometric fingerprint reader and up to 48GB of storage (32GB on an SD card plus 16GB of on board storage). Available accessories include a pricey dock that turns the phone into a mini computer with an 11.6-inch screen, full keyboard and webtop applications. And we mean pricey – the laptop dock will set you back a whooping $500. Should you decide to go down that route, you may want to consider a bundle (a phone and a dock) that costs $500 after a $100 mail-in rebate and an obligatory Data Pro plan with tethering add-on.
Motorola Atrix 4G specs
- Android 2.2
- 1GB RAM
- four-inch capacitive Corning Gorila Glass multitouch display at 960×540
- WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100, GSM 850/900/1900/1800
- optional 3G Mobile Hotspot service for connecting up to four WiFi devices
- 63.50mm x 117.75mm x 10.95mm
- weighs in at 135g
- five-megapixel camera with LED flash and 720p video recording
- forward-facing VGA camera for video calling
- 1080p video playback at 30 fps
- 16GB on board storage
- microSD card slot supporting up to 32GB (total 48GB)
- WiFi 802.11b/g/n operating on 2.4Hz and 5GHz bands
- accelerometer, ambient light and proximity sensors
- biometric fingerprint reader
- 3.5mm headphone jack and high-speed micro USB 2.0
- Corporate Sync, BOTA
- Bluetooth 2.1 EDR
- Battery 1930.00 mAh
- talk time on 3G is nine hours (8.8 hours on GSM)
- standby time on 3G is 250 hours (264 hours on GSM)